As usual, David Frum provides the most insightful analysis:
The defeat of Plan B leaves Republicans – all Republicans utterly defenseless against the onslaught to come.
Here’s what happens now.
1) President Obama goes on holiday.
2) December 31 arrives.
3) Taxes go up on everybody. Unemployment insurance ends. Sequester begins to go into effect.
4) Screams, howls.
5) President Obama returns to Washington, speaks to country from Oval Office or else summons special session, unveils the “Obama Tax Cut and Job Creation plan” featuring a whacking big tax cut for 98% of Americans.
6) Plan polls at 70% or better.
7) Republicans resist.
8) Republicans surrender.
9) Economy recovers, “morning in America,” Obama basks in glory in 2nd term.
That’s what those Republicans voted for when they rejected Plan B. Again, assuming they are not irrational, they must have had a motive. What?
For almost any given Republican…
View original post 151 more words